StudioAly

I blog about my life as an artist, what I'm creating and thinking about creating, what I'm writing, crafting, sewing, weaving...

Monday, May 24, 2010

Quilting!

Those of you who know me personally, know I always speak of quality in both design and the execution of the crafts(wo)manship in a finished piece be it fashion, jewelry, fine art etc. So, I'm designing a quilt for my niece in Virginia (images of the chosen fabrics can be found here in my blog post from the other day). I pride myself on the quality that goes into every step of my work and as I was perusing the web, I stumbled upon this article on Quilt Quality on the Amish Country Quilts website. The article provides a simple explanation of how to discern a well-designed quilt from one that is poorly designed. It also gives a few guides on what to look for: evenly placed stitching, balance/proportion in design, and how the fabrics interact with one another and the result on the eye of the viewer (a matter of taste). I have nothing more to add to this, actually, as I agree wholeheartedly. Making a quilt is an hours-long process that begins with the fabric selection and design, NOT the sewing. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment